.                                o    r    n    a    +    m    e    n    t    a    l          d    e    s    i    g    n

8.17.2007

pisanka: mixed-media series

:dianamuse

I recently pulled out an image from a collage-series I developed this spring. These colors never fail to delight and amuse me. And the egg, although an ancient symbol of spring, reminds me of rebirth and renewal year-round. So, I ask, why not today?

And here's some info (more than you need, surely) on the origins of eggart. The art of the decorated egg in Ukraine (pysanka)--pisanka in Russia--dates back to ancient times. As in many ancient cultures, Ukrainians worshipped a sun god (Dazhboh). The sun was important - it warmed the earth and thus was a source of all life. Eggs decorated with nature symbols became an integral part of spring rituals, serving as benevolent talismans.
In pre-Christian times, Dazhboh was one of the main deities in the Slavic pantheon; birds were the sun god's chosen creations, for they were the only ones who could get near him. Humans could not catch the birds, but they did manage to obtain the eggs the birds laid. Thus, the eggs were magical objects, a source of life. The egg was also honored during rite-of-spring festivals––it represented the rebirth of the earth. The long, hard winter was over; the earth burst forth and was reborn just as the egg miraculously burst forth with life. The egg, therefore, was believed to have special powers.

. . .

2 comments:

Things That Inspire said...

This is so beautiful...I love the colors and the symbolism of the egg. I have a series of egg prints on my wall, and every time I look at them I think how beautiful they are.

diana murphy said...

Thanks for visiting, Sarah. And thanks for your nice comment! I've just visited your blog. LOVE!